Saturday, November 26, 2005

A Disturbing Trend

I heard a story on the news today that bothered me. I have not heard all of the details yet, so perhaps I am a little premature in my comments. However, what I heard is believable, and the comments that I have so far are applicable elsewhere.

I was listening to the Rusty Humphries Show tonight. At one of the news breaks, there was a story about Federal legislation currently in the works regarding the regulation of over-the-counter medication and placing more restrictions on the sale of it. Now, the story did not give much detail, but did mention Methamphedamines. This led me to believe that the medication in question is Sudafed, and all of the genertic brands with the same ingrediant. If you did not know, Sudafed is used, along with other wonderful things that are great for your body such as lye and gasoline, to manufacture "Meth".

Now for my gut reaction......

How in the world will restricting the sale of Sudafed to law abiding people stop the manufacture of meth? People who make meth don't give a rat's behind about laws and will get the ingredients somewhere.

Does this argument sound familiar? It should. It is the same argument that I have against blanket gun control laws. Folks, it's not the decent people that we need to worry about, therefore we should not be putting restrictions on them. Let's spend more time and energy going after the crime, not trying broad based restrictions on otherwise legal activity, whether it be gun ownership or the need for cold relief.

No comments: