Saturday, October 21, 2006

Fallen Brother

I went, yesterday, to the wake for Manchester, NH Police Officer Michael Briggs. For those who don't know, Officer Briggs was shot and killed by a dirt bag fifteen minutes before the end of his shift last monday morning. Officer Briggs held on to his life for a day or so, while the dirtbag ran to Boston. The Heros at Boston PD picked him up within 24 hours, and the dirtbag is currently fighting extradidtion to NH. The dirtbag is just delaying the inevitable. The NH legislature has authorized $460,000 for the prosocution of the dirtbag. As far as I am concerned, Kelly Ayote, the NH Attorney General can spend it all, and if she needs more, give it to her. You see, the dirtbag has earned himself a Capital Murder charge here in the State of New Hampshire. I hope the dirtbag rides the needle. Ironically, three years age, the Dirtbag was the one who was shot, and Officer Briggs was the first to arrive and render first aid to him.
The weather for the wake yesterday was pouring down rain. I stood out in it for two hours to pay my respects with what appeared to be about a thousand other police officers. I would have stood all day if I had to. The Heros at Boston PD sent a good number of officers, as did the Mass State Police,. and several other Masss agencies. I saw the Vermont State Police. Of course, officers from just about every NH agency were there. It was very moving.
I did not know Officer Briggs. In fact, I don't think that I know anybody at Manchester PD. Still, I felt compelled to go yesterday. I then found out that Officer Briggs and I recieved an award on the same night in the past.
Last night, the most ferocious cold front that I have seen in quite awhile rolled through. Today, for the funeral, it is bright and sunny, cold and windy. I can't tell you why, but I think the weather was perfect yesterday, and perfect for today.
Officer Briggs was 35, just like me. He had a wife and two kids, just like me. Please consider donating to the Family Fund. Officer Briggs died, not having made a mistake, or by some accident while he was working. Officer Briggs died doing his job because he was fiercly deticated to it. He gave everything he had to the City of Manchester. He is a Hero. Farewell and Godspeed, Michael.

No comments: