Monday, August 29, 2005

Inspiration

I was listening to one of my favorite radio shows, Laura Ingraham, today while driving around in my cruiser looking for bad guys, when I was struck by a guest that Laura had on her show. It was Major Tammy Duckworth of the Illinois National Guard. If you have not heard her story, read it. It's long, but very inspirational.
In a nutshell, Major Duckworth was piloting an Army Blackhawk in Iraq last year when the helicopter was struck by a rockey propelled grenade, which detonated between her legs. She lost her right leg, and most of her left, half of the blood in her body as well as a host of other injuries.
What struck me while listening to her was this:

1. Her main goal is to get back in the pilot seat. "There is no way I am done flying," is what I heard her say during her interview.

2. When asked about Cindy Sheehan, her reply was that Ms. Sheehan has every right to express her point of view, and the Major would no criticize her in any way.

3. Major Duckworth is in the National Guard, folks, not the regular Army. At the time of her commission, she chose 5 preferences for assignments, and first on the list was the only field where she would go to a combat unit, Aviation.

Ladies and Gentelmen, if the story of Major Duckworth does not inspire you, nothing will. What upsets me is that I have heard about Cindy Sheehan on the news every night for weeks now, and this is the first that I have heard about Major Duckworth, who was shot down almost a year ago.

Once Again, God bless the troops, and God Bless the United States of America.

No comments: