Sunday, August 07, 2005

RINOs

RINO.....for those of us on the right side of the spectrum, RINO is a derogatory term. Republican In Name Only. It refers to those elected officials who are members of the Republican Party, for whom voting with the democrats happens more often than not.
I have heard some people decry the "labeling" of people as democrats or republicans. "I'm am Independant." "I don't need a party to tell me how to vote." Hogwash. Being a member of a certain party does not dictate how you vote, unless you are an unengaged person, brain-dead clod, in which case, you ought not be voting in the first place.
That having been said, I am a member of the Republican Party. Does "Republican" best describe my points of view? No. I suppose that a more accurate description of my political leanings would be "On the Libratarian side of Conservative." Unfortunately, there is no "On the Libratarian side of Conservative Party" candidate running. This is because we have a two party system. Therefore, I have to choose the party that I agree with the most. For as long as I can remember, that has been the Republicans.
Lately, however, I am becoming upset with the Republicans in office. They do not seem to have the core beliefs that I thought. For instance, just before adjourning, congress passed a transportation bill at the end of July. According to an ABC news story, there is about $24 billion worth of pork in it. This from a republican controlled congress. As an aside, in the story, ABC news calls John McCain a "spoil-sport" for being one of a few to speak out against the bill.
Over at Taxpayers for Common Sense, there is a breakdown of what all that money has been earmarked for. It's worth a read.
There is more, however it is too much for one post. But I have to say, until the party that I am a member of comes to it's senses, I guess that you could call me a RINO.

No comments: